Praveen Subramani is a researcher with the Changing Places group and the City Science Initiative at the MIT Media Lab, focused on the development of battery technologies, energy networks, and urban charging infrastructure for shared electric vehicle (EV) systems. His research examines the design of charging stations and energy systems for enabling clean electric transport and deploying EV charging infrastructure in cities. He has conducted extensive research related to urban vehicle sharing, rapid charging of EVs, energy storage, and the integration of locally generated renewable energy into dense cities. During 2013, Praveen Subramani was in Santiago, Chile as a visiting scholar at the Design Lab of the Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez on a Fulbright Fellowship. His recent project, smartCharge, is focused on optimizing charging infrastructure for shared vehicles through the development of an integrated locking, charging, and ambient information system for shared EVs. Previously, Praveen led the development of the battery systems and electronic architecture for the City Car, a modular, folding EV designed for shared urban use.
Praveen, originally from San Diego, CA, holds an M.Sc from the MIT Media Lab and a B.Sc in electrical engineering with a minor in urban design & planning from MIT. He is a fellow of the MIT chapters of Phi Beta Kappa, Tau Beta Pi, & Eta Kappa Nu, a member of the Arts Scholars program, and plays sabar drums with the MIT Rambax Senegalese Drumming Ensemble. His personal interests include exploring cities, food & cooking, making music, and traveling.
Recent & Upcoming Talks
- 26-27 Mar 2014: Smart City Expo Kyoto (Kyoto, Japan)
- 20-22 Nov 2013: US-Chile Fulbright Commission (Reñaca, Chile)
- 22-23 Oct 2013: Megacities 2013: Clean Energy Generation & Smart Use (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil)
- 19 Nov 2013: ￼￼Innovacion y Sustentabilidad en el Desarrollo y Movilidad Urbana (Calama, Chile)
- 2-4 Oct 2013: Smart City Expo Bogota (Bogota, Colombia): Charging up Chile: Enabling Shared Electric Mobility in an Emerging Market
- Technology platforms for vehicle sharing, ride sharing, and on-demand urban services
- Electrification of the transportation system, design and urban deployment of EV charging infrastructure
- Urban energy networks including local renewable generation, energy storage, and DC microgrids
- Urban sensing, urban mobility systems, responsive city growth, and the digital city movement
- Development of academic-industrial partnerships